Buckthorn wood


Buckthorn wood is one of my favourites and I think it deserves some attention. The one I was able to collect is particularly beautiful. It comes from old, partly dead tree. The wood is rotten on the outside but healthy inside. I discovered this by accident when I broke small branch and saw a nice wood/grain inside. The wood is quite hard and fragile, not easy to work with. It has a interesting smell which reminds me the smell of an old furniture. The grain and wood color is spectacular and when polished it has a certain depth as the light goes quite beneath the surface, especially in the sun looks like a jewel. Also the scoop gives you due to its characteristics certain feel in your hands which is somehow different from other woods.
Here are some photos of recently finished tea scoop.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tea bridge - wood and clay

Ancient Redgum